Monday, January 9

Top Ten Tuesday

The Top Ten Books That Have Impacted My Life (in Process):

In no particular order...The Bible is a Given.


1. Things Fall Apart - by Chinua Achebe  This book is told from a uniquely African perspective in such a way that it actually changed the way that I read, view Western culture, and see the impact we have on people all around the world (both positive and negative).

2. The Cloister Walk - by Kathleen Norris  An honest, and sometimes raw, account of Norris' experience of what lead her into a time as a Benedictine oblate (monastic living).  Seriously, I read this book at the right moment in my life.  Continues to be a favorite.

3. The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference - by Malcolm Gladwell  Interested in trends? Social changes?  What is cool and why?  This book explores all of this and more in a brilliant but easily written manner.

4. The End of Religion - by Bruxy Cavey  I'm not just saying this because he's the teaching pastor at the church I work at (The Meeting House).  This book is a must-read.  Bruxy very clearly, articulately (and quite frankly, in an enjoyable way) explores the idea that Jesus came to turn the religiosity of the time on its head...that Jesus came to show love, not law.  To: save us from sin, show us God's love, set up His kingdom & shutdown religion.  Simple.

5. In the Name of Jesus - by Henri Nouwen  Short book, big message.  Nouwen shares from personal experience what it looks like to really live the message of Christ.  An easy read by writing standards; a challenging read by spiritual standards.

6. Technical Virgin - by Hailey DiMarco  As someone in youth ministry, the topic of sex is often, if not on the lips of students, on the tip of their minds.  In one of the best Christian books for teens on the subject, DiMarco looks at all of the implications of a physical relationship and why sex is more than just a physical act, why purity isn't just about virginity, and how this all works in our culture.

7. Stargirl - by Jerry Spinelli  To be honest, this book is written for pre-teens and/or maybe early teens.  Again, through the eyes of student ministry, this book is golden.  Spinelli doesn't write from a Christian perspective (at least not that I know of), but he deals with the idea of identity, value, and fitting in with the crowd in an incredible way.  This book should be a part of every school's curriculum.

8. The Thursday Next Series - by Jasper Fforde  These books aren't life-changing.  They are of no spiritual value, sociological value, or psychological value.  But I wanted to include them on this list because I believe they show hope for a brand of witty and fascinating modern fiction that assumes a level of awareness of the literary canon.

9. I Love You, Forever - by Robert Munsch  Because every now and then, we all need to be sung to, reminded that we are loved, and be rocked back and forth, back and forth.

10.  Mere Christianity (and pretty much everything else by C.S. Lewis)  I picked this book in particular because I read it at a time in my life when I needed it to help me articulate the things that it covers.  Lewis is brilliant and is the kind of writer that I simply enjoy wading in the waters of his words.  Very easily, I could have said The Narnia Series here as well.  Simply incredible.

No comments: