Tuesday, November 8

Another F-Word

For some reason the word "feminist" has become another f-word in our culture, and even more so in the church.  The word simply means:  advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.  This seems fair, just.  However, as you well know the fight for equality is a spicy meatball even in 2011 and the words "feminist" or "feminism" are loaded terms that ignite fiery images to even the most neutral of parties.  I have never really given the whole feminine debate all that much thought.  In fact, I really thought we were beyond all of this in North America, until some recent conversations about women in ministry.

But first, let's take a bit of a journey to the past to glimpse at a few key dates for women in North America.

1919 - women were given the right to vote in ALL of the United States
1950 - women were given the right to vote in ALL of Canada
1963 - Betty Friedan's heavily controversial book, The Feminine Mystique is published
1972 - the Equal Rights Amendment is passed by U.S. Congress
1975 - the U.N. hosts the first International Conference on Women
1977 - the Canadian Human Rights Act is passed
1993 - Kim Campbell becomes the first female Prime Minister of Canada
2008 - Close but no cigar: Hillary Rodham Clinton was neck-and-neck with Democratic Primary winner and now President of the United States, Barack Obama
2011 - some denominations (and many religions) still do not allow the ordination of women

I have been asked more than a few times what it is like to be a female pastor.  It's funny to me because in my church context it is rarely (if ever) an issue.  The leadership team is mixed with men and women who are awesome at leading and the gender issue within our overall church context is really a non-issue.

And then I meet other Christians, from other denominations, or women who come from backgrounds where women are not allowed to lead, to preach, or to hold any church office.  It's then I realize that I'm still one of the lucky ones; that is, I am in a minority of women who sit in a pastoral position.

Now, I do realize, things are much better than they used to be.  I am thankful for the women who have come before me and who have really blazed the trail for women in ministry.  But in reality, I am surprised (and saddened) that this is even something I think about.  I am perplexed by the fact that in 2011 there are still so many denominations that don't allow women in leadership.

In a survey taken in 2009 in the U.S., it showed that 51% of congregations would not allow women to be head clergy, 33% wouldn't allow women to preach in the main service, 15% wouldn't allow women to serve on the board, 13% wouldn't allow women to teach in a class that had adult men in it.

I know there are women from generations past that would barely blink at these statistics, but I find them shocking.  And I know I'm not the only one.

And so, I know that I might be jumping on an already moving bandwagon, but I think it is time for a call to Christian feminism.  That is, to allow the pendulum to swing a little in the direction where we can "advocate for the rights of women to be equal to that of men" in the church.  For there is no male or female in Christ.  We are all equal and I can't wait for the church to reflect that.

(For an awesome follow-up to this post check out Rachel Held Evans blog: 13 Things that Make Me a Lousy Feminist)

No comments: